Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Books

Dear friends,

These are my favorite Christmas books.  We fill a basket with these and keep them handy for reading each day during the Christmas season.  I try to buy at least one new book every year.  We also sing Christmas carols every day!  This is the main part of our annual Advent Adventure Unit Study for December.




One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham  (see picture in basket above)




The Tale of Three Trees   -     
        By: Angela Elwell Hunt
    
    
        Illustrated By: Tim Jonke
    
The Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell Hunt














Mary's First Christmas   -     
        By: Walter Wangerin Jr.
    
    
        Illustrated By: Tim Ladwig
    
Mary's First Christmas by Walter Wangerin, Jr.






King of the Stable
An Amish Christmas (Aladdin Picture Books)






King of the Stable by Melody Carlson






















An Amish Christmas by Richard Ammon
















A Certain Small Shepherd by Rebecca Caudhill



The Crippled Lamb book  or The Crippled Lamb DVD by Max Lucado 


An Orange for Frankie by Patrica Polacco (beautiful story, child with developmental disabilities -- we get this from our library)


The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Softcover  -     
        By: Barbara Robinson
    
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson (chapter book)

All of the books on this list are linked to either Christian Book Distributors or Amazon.  




New to my favorites list in 2011:


The Christmas Miracle Of Jonathan Toomey With CD  -     
        By: Susan Wojciechowski
    
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski (illustrated by P.J. Lynch) I've heard people rave about this book for years, and  I appreciated the message that kindness, hard work, beautiful things, family memories, and the story of Christmas can go along way toward healing a hurting heart. 


Gladys Hunt, who wrote the book Honey for a Child's Heart about children's literature, has a blog post called Christmas Stories, which has a longer list of her favorites at the end of it.  Check it out! 


What are your favorites?


Blessings,
Virginia Knowles

3 comments:

  1. I just published a post like this today as well. :-) But I'm always on the lookout for new books, especially at Christmastime, and you have a lot of great suggestions here. I just heard for the first time the other day of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It sounds terrific, and I think I'll have to pick that one up. Also, I took a few sessions with Angela Hunt at a writers conference a couple years ago, and she spoke of The Tale of Three Trees then. I had forgotten about that book. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few that are on your list as well. Our favorite is Room for a Little One. I picked up a new one this year: Jesus, Me and My Christmas Tree by Crystal Bowman. I love how it ties in traditional ornaments such as bells and angels to the reason for Jesus' birth. I got it after we decorated our tree this year but next year we'll read it first!
    Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another new one I picked up at school is The Pine Tree Parable - not a retelling of the birth of Jesus' but of how we can show His love. Her books all have Bible verses scattered throughout the book reinforcing the lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails