I find that our daily school times go so much more smoothly and we get a lot more done if I plan and prepare everything ahead of time. I want their notebooks and school bins fully loaded so everything is ready for action!
I try to block out several hours of time for this process, but I usually have to do it in shorter chunks of time, starting Friday afternoon and finishing up Saturday morning. I hate to be interrupted by distractions while I do this, so I have to frequently remind everyone else to stay out of my way! I'm still breaking into this routine, but it becomes less awkward each week. I have to guard against going down bunny trails, such as spending too much time designing my own worksheets.
Supplies and Equipment:
- 1" teacher notebook with dividers
- 1 "current week notebook (with subject dividers) for each child, clearly labeled with their name (I buy packs of 6 at Sam's Club)
- 2" archive notebook for each child
- One medium sized clear plastic bin for each child and for mom, labeled in permanent marker at each end (see Bin There, Done That) -- they cost about $5 at Walmart
- One bin for archive notebooks and bulky workbooks
- Computer with word processing
- Printer/copy machine combo
- Sturdy 3 hole punch, stapler, scissors, pens, pencils
- School books
- Lined paper